banner

Thursday, February 8, 2007

Self Storage by Gayle Brandeis, part 2

I took a break from reading this book because it wasn't really that riveting and I acquired a stack of quite appealing reads while I was trying to get through this one. But after I finished The Accidental, I decided to take Self Storage up again. The more I read, the more disappointing I became in both the writing and the plot. This is ostensibly a plot-driven book. It's not really about the beauty of language or the construction of interesting sentences, despite the author's attempts to draw Walt Whitman into the book to serve as a common thread throughout the story. I am curious about this aspect of the book because I have no idea if she is going to draw the story together somehow with Whitman or center the main character's epiphany around it. But I stopped reading it again. The book became too annoying. It was reading like a bad movie plot, and it was a bit boring despite the author's attempts to spice up the story by making the neighbor run over the main character's daughter. I have no intention of picking up the book again. There are too many other things to read.

No comments: