banner

Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Twin Study by Stacey Richter


I never thought I would be sitting at my kitchen table on New Year's day reading story after weird story just to pass the time. It was a beautiful day, but crankiness had descended over me like a cliche cloud, so I picked up the book on top of the pile in my living room and began to read over a cup of coffee. The book was called Twin Study (Perseus, 2007), the title story of which detailed a weekend in the life of two adult indentical twins who were participating in scientific research about twins. The twins hated the fact that they were so alike yet so different, and this became clear over the course of the story. One of the highlights is when the "bad twin" claims a "found pug" dog that doesn't belong to her. The most amusing story had to be "The Cavemen in the Hedges," a story about a couple who are faced with an invasion of proto-humans in their suburb. The cavemen in the story are fond of shiny objects and anything pink or girly. For some reason, the woman in the story needs a caveman in her life in order to loosen up a bit. The story about the rock-star teenage girl named Shane was also great. There were a few stories that I chose to skip owing to the fact that the seemed slightly disturbing. The book, that officially comes out sometime this spring (April, I believe) made for an amusing day of reading, after all.

-->More information at Library Thing.

No comments: